Since it was established in 1979 the Migros Aid Fund has been fostering social and ecological development projects in Switzerland and abroad. Each year one million francs of grant funding is made available for these projects. So far we have invested over 41 million francs.
Help for self-help
The aim of the projects supported by the Migros Aid Fund is to support minorities and to promote inclusivity for rural populations. They are professionally structured, following the principle of help for self-help, and are distinctive for their social, economic and ecologically sustainable approach. As a rule, the projects receive grants of between 40,000 and 100,000 francs.
Following the principles of Gottlieb Duttweiler, Migros uses the fund to help disadvantaged people, including in particular children, young people, and women. A delegated working group from the Federation of Migros Cooperatives meets three or four times a year to decide on the applications to the fund.
Projects we have helped
Each year, around 20 projects run by recognised non-profit organisations based in Switzerland receive financial assistance. Since 2020, these included:
- Aqua Alimenta An education centre for smallholder farmers in Madagascar
- Association Nai Qala A school building project in Afghanistan
- Nordesta Agroforestry for 50 families in Brazil
- Terre des Hommes An education project for young people in El Salvador as an alternative to migration
- Swissaid Fish farming in Tanzania. Securing food and work for small farmers and their families with sustainable fish farming in Tanzania
- Velafrica Setting up a vocational training programme for bicycle mechanics in Burkina Faso
- Women’s Hope Improving healthcare for mothers and children in Egypt by supporting citizens’ initiatives
In Switzerland the fund has helped projects including the St. Gingolph civil community (restoring a chestnut wood in the Valais region) and sponsorship for mountain communities (renovating the drinking system at Glarus).
Submitting an application
You can submit an application for the Migros Aid Fund at any time. Please note that until further notice we can only accept an application from the same organisation every two years. This also applies if an earlier application for support was unsuccessful.
Applications may be submitted only via the Migros Cultural Percentage application platform.